Rurikoji Temple

From archive photos...

Rurikouji temple (瑠璃光寺), located in Yamaguchi city downtown, is Soto/Caodong school (曹洞宗) Buddhist temple that Bhaisajyaguru (薬師如来) is worshiped. The temple is a complex comprising of Kazan (香山) park and Kazan cemetery where tombs of Mohri clan (毛利氏) are found. The cemetery is registered as historic site (史跡).

Entrance to Kazan Cemetery

The Rurikohji temple was originally located at Nihotakano (仁保高野) in Yamaguchi city that was established in 1447 by the widow of Hirofusa Sue (陶弘房) in condolence to him. Initially it is called Anyohji temple (安養寺) but changed to Rurikohji temple in 1492.

Before the Rurikohji was moved to the current place, Kohshakuji temple (香積寺), established by Yoshihiro Ohuchi (大内義弘), was there. In 1604,  Terumoto Mohri (毛利輝元) decided to move the Kohshakuji temple to Hagi city. In 1690 Rurikouji temple was transferred to there.

The 31.2 meter tall five story pagoda (五重塔), built around 1442, is registered as National treasures of Japan (国宝). It is 10th oldest one in Japan.
Five story pagoda

This is Our World Tuesday entry.

Have a wonderful week.


Yamaguchi Daijingu

Photos taken in Yamaguchi Prefecture continue...

Yamaguchi Daijingu (山口大神宮), located in Yamaguchi city center nearby Prefectural Office (山口県庁), is established in 1520 by dividing the spirit of Ise Grand Shrine (伊勢神宮). It follows the same style as Ise Grand Shrine - Naikuh (内宮) enshrining Amaterasu (天照大神), as well as Amanotajikarao (天手力男神) and Yorozuhata-Toyoakitsuhimenomikoto (萬幡豊秋津姫命) and Gekuh (外宮) - enshrining Toyoukeno-ohmikami (豊受大御神), as well as Ninigi (天津彦彦火瓊々芸命), Amanokoyane (天児屋根命), Amanofutodama (天太玉命), Takeminakata (建御名方神) and Yasakatojinomikoto (八坂刀自命)

Naikuh (内宮)
These Halls are built based on a traditional shinto style called Yuiitsu shinmeitzukuri (唯一神明造) characteristic structure is seen on rooftop. 

Another view of Naikuh
Takamine Inari shrine (高嶺稲荷神社) and Taga shrine (多賀神社) are also in the area of Yamaguchi Daijingu.

Taga Shrine