Followers

2011/02/04

Bronze Statue Of Sacred Horse


Important note: New Friend Exchange
This entry is a part of activity that I joined through Sunflowerkat321's blog, who decided to play after visiting The Kitchen Bitch Ponder's blog.

I would modify the rule a little and here we go:
I promise to send something related to Japan to the 5 people who leave a comment on this post and who, in turn, promise to send something back to me. The rules are that you need to make the items personally and send within 2011. I will contact you by private message for your snail mail address.
If you only want to comment on this entry but don't want to join this activity, that's fair enough. Just leave a comment as you normally do. 
If you find it interesting, want to join the activity and to swap things between you and me, please express your intention in your comment.

Part two of "Sacred horse" and "Ema (絵馬)" in Shinto religion. Ema is a substitute of the real sacred horse that used to be donated to the shrine in the past. This bronze statue of the sacred horse shown in this photo was donated by an individual who must have been rich and serious about religion. If you want to be a shinto geek, please visit  Lina's blog in which I have described Ema in more detail.

If you are more into live horse action, here you go.

Click photo to know more about the performance


This is an entry for Show Me Japan Vol 1, Issue 12. If you want to see nice photos taken in Japan, don't forget to visit. 


And also for Black and White Weekend, Shadow Shot Sunday #142, Scenic Sunday 133.

             

Have a wonderful weekend.

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful B&W photo, very good lighting. This horse statue is really nice, and next to the another statue is interesting. Is it a book shelf maybe?
    Have a nice weekend you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your black and white photos are always fabulous Yoshi. that's a very interesting structure to the rear of the horse and it adds a lot of texture to the image. yours are some of the most interesting photos I see, and I really like looking at them. sometimes I just stare for a long time. I think your friend exchange idea is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great subject, but the angle you used really is excellent and avoids any static quality. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada. P.S. I'm too deep in the bush to play your game, but good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the horse and the lighting. Very nice black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horse was once a sacred animal in the old Celtic religion as well. Are those prayers on the rack? A fine photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great image, I really like the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting image. Great framing, I was drawn to the two people in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the texture and tones in this. That wall is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really a great photographer Yoshi!

    The only thing I know how to make is "trouble" so ill pass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing shapes and wonderful light textures in this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific capture as always, Yoshi! Love the B&W and the statue is beautiful! Great shadow shot for the day! Enjoy your weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a facinating shadow shot...love all of the textures that it brings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great pic - love the angle. Looks good in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really fabulous ShadowShot!! Wow!! have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The horse is magnificent, a big and quite beautiful animal. This steed sits proudly in the night shadows, a mighty animal for our affection and awe. Such a lovely capture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful photo. I love horses, anyway,be they statues or the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Starlike reflections are very beautiful!!
    Great B&W shot!
    Do people tie Omikuji to the legs of the horse?
    I'm sure it will drive away their bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to your explanation, I now appreciate the significance of the horse and the shrine. I think I will slowly turn into a shrine otaku if I follow your blogs religiously. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a dramatic photo, Yoshi san. I remember seeing a lot of the wooden ema in Japan this past spring. This is a very artistic capture of the shrine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello from the USA. I would love to be part of your swap and would make something really special to send to you.

    Love your blog and the photos.

    God Bless,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful monochrome night shot! The light is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 夜景のモノクロ写真って光の回り方が直線的で格好良いですね
    私の願い…というか目標は、バイリンガルのblogをスムーズに運用する事です!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome! It's NOT a bad idea to follow this blog, if you are not a follower already:)
日本語でのコメント大歓迎です。